Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Opening XLT file with Excel XP

Hi all,

I have encountered a rather weird problem in Excel 2002
(having 97 installed on the same NT system). When double-
clicking to open an XLT file, the name of the active
workbook, either displayed on top of the Excel window or
retrieved thru ActiveWorkbook.Name, is changed
automatically. For example, if the name of the XLT file is
Test.xlt, the active workbook's name changes to Test1.xlt,
having a "1" appending to the end of the name.

However, if I go through File | Open menu (in 2002 and
97), or use Right Mouse Click | Send To (to 2002 or 97),
this does not occur. MS KB has no article on this
partitular issue.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But George wrote that his file is named test1.xlt.

If it were just test.xlt or test1, I think I'd understand. But George wrote
test1.xlt.

If it was a typo in George's post, then your explanation makes good sense to
me. But if it weren't a typo, I think there's something still missing.

(I've never seen the behavior that George described, though.)

"Ken Laws [MS]" wrote:

Hi George,

My name is Ken. Thank you for using the Microsoft Newsgroups.

Based upon my understanding of your question, you would like to know why
you are seeing different resulting file names within Microsoft Excel based
upon the method that you use to open an XLT file.

Using the following three methods that you have provided to open the file,
I will attempt to explain the behavior that you are seeing.

1. Opening the XLT file using File -- Open within Microsoft Excel

Using this method you are instructing Microsoft Excel to simply open the
XLT file which results in the file name being the exact name of the file
that you opened.

2. Double clicking to open the XLT file.

Using this method you are relying on the Windows File Association to
determine which application to use to open the file and also the default
action to take when opening the file. For an XLT file there are by default
three actions that could occur:

A. New - creates a new file based on the XLT file.
B. Open - opens the XLT file.
C. Print - sends the file to the printer.

By default the default action for an XLT file is New. This means that if
you double click on the XLT or right mouse click on the XLT and choose Open
With, the action will be to create a new file based on the template and the
name of the file will be the original template name with a number appended
such as 1,2,3, etc.

3. Using SendTo to open the XLT file with Microsoft Excel.

This method performs a shell execute to open Microsoft Excel and passes the
file name to open, which would in essence generate the same behavior as
opening Microsoft Excel and then opening the XLT file, thus resulting in
the file name being the name of the XLT file.

I hope this helps!

If you have any questions please let me know via the posting.

Regards,

Ken Laws
Microsoft Support

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave

But George wrote that his file is named test1.xlt.

This from George's original post..............

For example, if the name of the XLT file is
Test.xlt, the active workbook's name changes to Test1.xlt,
having a "1" appending to the end of the name.

Gord

"Ken Laws [MS]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Didn't mean to be too confusing (this time!), but I meant that George wrote the
resulting file is named test1.xlt--not the original file.

When I open a template (named test.xlt), I'll get test.xlt or test1 (test# in
general). But not test1.xlt.

(Rereading this, it still looks clear as mud.)

Dave

"Ken Laws [MS]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi All,

I apologize for the confusion. When testing I didn't observe the document
that was generated by double clicking on the XLT file to have an extension
or to have been saved and responded based on the behavior that I observed.

I hope that George responds to clarify whether this was a typo in the
original post.

If in fact the file has an XLT extension then I would check to see if there
was any code being executed either by the template or from an add-in as by
default the file generated by double clicking on a template is not saved.