-   -   Fill data question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/99744-fill-data-question.html)

[email protected]

Fill data question

When I select 2 or more cells and then use the fill handle to "fill"
the rest of the cells, it just copies the selected cells.
If I use 1, 2, 3, 4, it will just copy 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over again.
The fill handles just copies. Is there a fill option menu that I am
unaware of? Thanks guys for answering this simple question.

tim m

Fill data question

Try "Edit"...."fill"...."series"

" wrote:

When I select 2 or more cells and then use the fill handle to "fill"
the rest of the cells, it just copies the selected cells.
If I use 1, 2, 3, 4, it will just copy 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over again.
The fill handles just copies. Is there a fill option menu that I am
unaware of? Thanks guys for answering this simple question.

Gord Dibben

Fill data question

Right-click and drag then release and select "Fill Series".

Although I don't know whet the 1,2,3,4 will not fill when dragged down or
across.

A single cell with 1 will copy by default.

Two cells with 1 and 2 will generally auto-fill.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 17 Jul 2006 13:29:31 -0700, wrote:

When I select 2 or more cells and then use the fill handle to "fill"
the rest of the cells, it just copies the selected cells.
If I use 1, 2, 3, 4, it will just copy 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over again.
The fill handles just copies. Is there a fill option menu that I am
unaware of? Thanks guys for answering this simple question.

Gord Dibben

Fill data question

"whet" could be interpreted as "why" if you choose.

Gord