Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default type declaration characters

Visual basic still supports them such as

variableName!
variableName#

and so on

so why are they not popular?. For instance I detest the custom naming
conventions for variables like this:

Dim strMyString as string
strMyString = "hello world"

why not just do this

myString$ = "hello world"

basically visual basic has allowed weak programming to creep into the
language!

Further Quick basic supports this

myString$ = space$(1000) (could be a little out in that syntax)

I don't know if vbasic supports the "space$" keyword
the above code gives the string a definite size. It is not a dynamic
string. I hate dynamic strings. GWbasic had dynamic strings and they
stunk.

Now the basic argument is that vbasic ran out of type declaration
characters as there were more variable types. I don't buy that though.
All vbasic had to do was make some extra custom type declaration chars
and the problem would have been solved. The code would look alot nicer
and neater and the DIM statement would not have to be used to declare
variables at all!!!!

This might agravate some Microsoft employees who like to brag on how
many pages of code they did in one day. With this new idea all
unecessary code could be eliminated . It would reduce the code by about
20 percent.

--
integreat
integreat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34282

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My personal opinion is that I find the long method much more easy to read and
understand. And I find that the longer versions save my time--and I don't care
if the code is has more characters.

Your mileage may vary.

integreat wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson