Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Number format for cells

I need to enter full credit card numbers into an excel sheet that is
created to keep track of transactions. I need to see only the last 4
digits, though.
Tried many things so i hope you guys can help me figure this one out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

bgscoop wrote:
I need to enter full credit card numbers into an excel sheet that is
created to keep track of transactions. I need to see only the last 4
digits, though.
Tried many things so i hope you guys can help me figure this one out.

Hi,

Maybe you can enter the full creditcard number in a cell formated as
Text. Then take out the last 4 digites with something like:

=--RIGHT(A1,4)

Regards,
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Maybe you can enter the full creditcard number in a cell formated as
Text. Then take out the last 4 digites with something like:

=--RIGHT(A1,4)

Regards,
Bondi

i tried entering only right(a1,4) at first to see how it worked
in the cell it displayed ' #name? ' (without the apostrophies)
any idea how to get through this ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It might be better to use a Input box via VBA.

If you want to continue with a formula then change the font colour of
the ccell your entering the no. to white and enter this formula in the
next cell

=REPT("#",LEN(B2)-4)&RIGHT(B2,4)

VBA Noob

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't put the text and forumla in one cell.

Need to be No in A1 and Formula in B1

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561939

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

bgscoop wrote:
Hi,

Maybe you can enter the full creditcard number in a cell formated as
Text. Then take out the last 4 digites with something like:

=--RIGHT(A1,4)

Regards,
Bondi

i tried entering only right(a1,4) at first to see how it worked
in the cell it displayed ' #name? ' (without the apostrophies)
any idea how to get through this ?

Hi,

The #Name error usualy comes when Excel is not recognizing the formula.
Are you using a English version of Excel?

The common problem when entering credit card numbers is that they are
16 digits and Excel will only take 15. That is why the Formatting as
Text is necessary.

Regards,
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

VBA Noob wrote:
You can't put the text and forumla in one cell.

Need to be No in A1 and Formula in B1

--
VBA Noob

It looks like i wasn't very clear about that :)
i know i can't put them together and i haven't it just seems so from
the way i wrote it
VBA Noob your way worked like a charm thks a lot
now i got another column with the hiden cc numbers and i just gotta
find a way to erase the columns with the full cc numbers.