Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default A few simple functions

I'm trying to create a s/sheet to set up some bank payments and would like
to set up a quick calculator which I can import to a Word document.

Suppose I have a column listing months from April 07 to March 08. I would
like a second column with the number of days in that month, a third column
with the date of the first working day of that month.

Thanks for any help,

Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:24:04 +0100, "Grey" wrote:

I'm trying to create a s/sheet to set up some bank payments and would like
to set up a quick calculator which I can import to a Word document.

Suppose I have a column listing months from April 07 to March 08. I would
like a second column with the number of days in that month, a third column
with the date of the first working day of that month.

Thanks for any help,

Graham

If your months are Excel dates equal to the first day of the month, but
formatted to show mmm yy, then

Days in month:

=DAY(A2+31-DAY(A2+31))

First working day in month:

=WORKDAY(A2-1,1)

If the WORKDAY function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install
and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click
OK.
If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.

If you are interested in the number of working days in the month, then try
this:

=NETWORKDAYS(A2,A2+31-DAY(A2+31))

Both NETWORKDAYS and WORKDAYS have an optional [Holidays] argument where you
can refer to a list of holiday dates to also be excluded.

--ron