Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell formatting problem

A new Excel user has made an error, and doesn't remember what she did to
cause this problem:
When a date is typed into the cell (eg 6/21/06), the number in the cell is
38889. A different 5 digit number shows up for different dates entered. The
date appears properly in the formula bar, and no amount of formatting,
clearing contents, deleting, or copy-and-pasting is changing this. This has
affected all of the cells in this column. Deleting the column is not really
an option. We need to figure out what happened, and how to fix it.
I can replicate the error in a new workbook by changing the formatting of a
cell in which there is a date (from date format to general format, for
example), but I can change it right back by changing the format. I am unable
to do that in the workbook in which the error was made. Reformatting the
cell MAKES NO
DIFFERENCE.
I apologize for the caps, but I'm a little frustrated. Any help would be
much appreciated.
Stormy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

do other columns show the date ok?
You say copy and paste doesn't do anything. Is this to or from outside
columns and especially to other sheets in the same workbook?
Have you checked to see if there is a macro running in the background
changing the format?

You may have a corrupted file
Try copying everthng in the sheet and pasting to a new sheet.

"Stormy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The worksheet in question is a grid for scheduling employees (days across the
top, and names down the left side). The column on the far right is used for
revision dates. This is the column that is all fouled up. I did not check
to see if the other columns show the date ok, as they are all full with
scheduling info. As far as copying and pasting, I tried c+p from another
sheet in the same workbook, and the contents and formatting came, but the #
displayed in the cell still was not what was in the formula bar. Have not
checked for a macro, as I don't know how, and would it really be possible for
a new Excel user to "accidentally" set up a macro that would change the
format? All she was doing was updating the schedule. As far as a corrupted
file, again, I wonder how just updating a schedule page (that is updated at
least daily) would corrupt the file.
Any other ideas?
Stormy

"Stormy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Stormy

Is it possible that you are in "Formula View" which will show the date serial
number?

Hit CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Stormy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,
You are awesome! That is the answer to my dilema! The new user must have
hit the keys by accident (more unlikely things have happened). I went to her
spreadsheet and hit those keys, and everything was fixed.
Thanks again,
Stormy

"Stormy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc