Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 - Data Validation

I am trying to insert a drop-down list into a cell using Data Validation. The
list is from another workbook. I have followed the instructions given in the
help file, but everytime I work through them I end up with the following
error message:-

"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria!"

This message appears to contradict with the information in the help file.
Can anyone offer some guidance as to where I am going wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Hessen,

sorry but, I think you can't do it. the validation list must be on the same
worksheet.

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Hessen_Wraith" escreveu:

I am trying to insert a drop-down list into a cell using Data Validation. The
list is from another workbook. I have followed the instructions given in the
help file, but everytime I work through them I end up with the following
error message:-

"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria!"

This message appears to contradict with the information in the help file.
Can anyone offer some guidance as to where I am going wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use a list from another open workbook, as described he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Debra. I've worked through this and I'm still not having much success.
I shall try again and see if I've used the correct syntax. It would be nice
to know that someone else has achieved the results on another PC using these
instructions.

Hessen.

Hessen_Wraith wrote:
I am trying to insert a drop-down list into a cell using Data Validation. The
list is from another workbook. I have followed the instructions given in the
help file, but everytime I work through them I end up with the following
error message:-

"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria!"

This message appears to contradict with the information in the help file.
Can anyone offer some guidance as to where I am going wrong?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're still having trouble, post another message here, describing
what happens when you try the instructions. Then, someone may be able to
help solve the problem.

Hessen_Wraith wrote:

I am trying to insert a drop-down list into a cell using Data Validation. The
list is from another workbook. I have followed the instructions given in the
help file, but everytime I work through them I end up with the following
error message:-

"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria!"

This message appears to contradict with the information in the help file.
Can anyone offer some guidance as to where I am going wrong?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Aside from Debra who assiduously tests all her work I can state that her method
works for me on Excel 2003.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Hessen_Wraith wrote:
I am trying to insert a drop-down list into a cell using Data Validation. The
list is from another workbook. I have followed the instructions given in the
help file, but everytime I work through them I end up with the following
error message:-

"You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data
Validation criteria!"

This message appears to contradict with the information in the help file.
Can anyone offer some guidance as to where I am going wrong?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gord. I wasn't meaning to doubt Debra. I hadn't realised Debra had
tried it out already and was looking for confirmation that it worked.

Many thanks for everyones help.

Hessen.