Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linked Cells

Is it possible to drag the cell with a formula in it so that it can be
repeated with a pattern changing?

Might sound confusing, what I mean is can i put
'worksheet name'!A2 and then 'worksheet name'!A3 to the right of it and
then select both and drag to the right so that the number goes up while
the letter stays the same.

I've tried using $ to make it absolute but excel just keeps repeating
the same two squares without changing the number.

--
tpsstudent
tpsstudent's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36256

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't do it that way. OK dragging down a column but not across a row

Enter in B1

=INDIRECT("'worksheet name'!A" & COLUMN())

Drag/copy across.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:08:41 -0400, tpsstudent
wrote:

Is it possible to drag the cell with a formula in it so that it can be
repeated with a pattern changing?

Might sound confusing, what I mean is can i put
'worksheet name'!A2 and then 'worksheet name'!A3 to the right of it and
then select both and drag to the right so that the number goes up while
the letter stays the same.

I've tried using $ to make it absolute but excel just keeps repeating
the same two squares without changing the number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What would I fill in the column area with?

--
tpsstudent
tpsstudent's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560501

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't know what you mean.

Can you elaborate a bit, please.

In your original, you wanted to transpose column data to row data.

Fill in the column area with whatever you want your formulas to return.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:51:58 -0400, tpsstudent
wrote:

What would I fill in the column area with?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm Sorry, I mean in the formula that you posted originally

=INDIRECT("'worksheet name'!A" & COLUMN())

What would I put in the parenthesis after COLUMN? so that it would
count the correct number or columns?

--
tpsstudent
tpsstudent's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560501

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You put nothing in the () after COLUMN(see last sentence of this post for
exceptions)

COLUMN() is a worksheet function that requires no arguments.

=COLUMN() just returns the number of whatever column it is entered.

If you enter the formula in A1 you would return the value from worksheet name!A1

If entered in B1 you would return the value from worksheet name!A2

Drag/copy across to return A3, A4, A5 up to A256

ROW() works the same down a column.

You could start at D1 column and enter COLUMN(-3) which is 3 columns left of
D..............column A

Gord