Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Office "Assistant"

Greetings !
When I start Excel, this wretched character on a bicycle appears - I know
how to get rid of him, but how can I prevent him from starting?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...0001543,00.htm

"To get rid of the Office Assistant, right-click the cartoon character paper clip, and then choose
Options from the resulting pop-up menu. Clear the check box beside the 'Use the Office Assistant'
box and click OK.

You can also permanently exorcise the assistant so that no one using the computer can resurrect him.
Here's how. From the Start menu, select Settings Control Panel Add/Remove Programs; highlight
Microsoft Office, click 'Add or remove features' and hit Next. Under Office Shared Features, find
Office Assistant, and then click the small arrow and choose Not Available. Click the Update button
to uninstall the assistant."

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Robin Clay" <Robin wrote in message
Greetings !
When I start Excel, this wretched character on a bicycle appears - I know
how to get rid of him, but how can I prevent him from starting?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

"To get rid of the Office Assistant, right-click the cartoon character paper clip,

Yes, That's what I've been doing - every time !

You can also permanently exorcise the assistant

B U R N I N G would be too good for him !

so that no one using the computer can resurrect him.

THAT's what I want !

Here's how. From the Start menu,
select Settings Control Panel Add/Remove Programs;

AAAARRGGGHHHH !

That's been disabled by our IT dept... :(

Thanks anyway - yust becoz I can't do it, don't mean I ain't grateful !.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't use the office assistant, but I've read this...

Look for a folder named Actors (it's buried on your pc somewhere)

Rename that folder to DeadActors

If you want to resurrect them, just rename that folder.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
Look for a folder named Actors (it's buried on your pc somewhere)

Thank you, Dave, for leaping once more to my aid - this world needs people
like you !

Alas! My computer has no such file.... :(

Or maybe it does, and it's been hidden from my gaze by those b**** in IT....

They have hidden my C: Drive - but forgot to disable Start Run C: !!!

Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Again, I don't use the assistant, but maybe you can find that folder via:

windows Start|Run
cmd (winXP/WinNT)
or
Command (win9x)

Then
C:
cd\
dir Actors /s

the /s means to search subdirectories, too.

Robin Clay wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
Look for a folder named Actors (it's buried on your pc somewhere)

Thank you, Dave, for leaping once more to my aid - this world needs people
like you !

Alas! My computer has no such file.... :(

Or maybe it does, and it's been hidden from my gaze by those b**** in IT....

They have hidden my C: Drive - but forgot to disable Start Run C: !!!

Thanks again.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
Again, I don't use the assistant, but maybe you can find that folder via:

I eventually asked "Technical Support", and they confirmed that "it's on the
server", and we can't delete it... :(

Thanks again.