Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default if...

I need cells to automatically update when other cells have text
inserted. I have some data on sheet 2 in columns 1 and 2. On sheet 1
when the text that matches the text on sheet 2 is entered I want the
corresponding text from sheet 2 column two to be inserted. Some of my
data is prefixed with '. Thanks for any help!

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In cells in Sheet1:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)),"" ,(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)))

Copy down as far as required. Cells remain blank until text is entered OR no
match is found.

Adjust ranges on Sheet2 to suit.

HTH

"phil2006" wrote:

I need cells to automatically update when other cells have text
inserted. I have some data on sheet 2 in columns 1 and 2. On sheet 1
when the text that matches the text on sheet 2 is entered I want the
corresponding text from sheet 2 column two to be inserted. Some of my
data is prefixed with '. Thanks for any help!

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559849

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Phil,

u can use lookup function to do this. This is simplest way to do.

Eg: insert this formula in sheet1, column 2.
=LOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!a:a,Sheet2!b:b)
A1- Data on Sheet1.
sheet2!a:a- where the reference data on sheet1 should match with the data in
sheet2!(column1)
sheet2!b:b- is the corresponding data to the column1 in sheet2.

Hope i am clear.

Naveen

"phil2006" wrote:

I need cells to automatically update when other cells have text
inserted. I have some data on sheet 2 in columns 1 and 2. On sheet 1
when the text that matches the text on sheet 2 is entered I want the
corresponding text from sheet 2 column two to be inserted. Some of my
data is prefixed with '. Thanks for any help!

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559849

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, that's just what I needed! How would I write this as a macro
that could be used in a number of sheets and would only be inserted
into the cells if there was something inserted in the data column. i.e.
if the initial column is empty the corresponding cell remains empty.

Thanks very much.