Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Search and Validate

I have 8 pulldown menus that work together to generate a Model number. I
would like this model number to be able to be validated. I need some code or
help on how to write one that when clicked a macro would open and search
through a list of all possible combinations of units to see if the generated
one can exist. If it does exist nothing happens but if it doesnt exist I need
it to have a dialog box that tells the user to change the configuration.
sorry im fairly new to excel and know what i need but dont know how to get
it to happen.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mike-

Here is how I would approach this problem:

1. You must know which values must appear in each of the individual
"pulldown menus," correct? Enter these values in separate columns on a
sheet.

2. Then on another sheet, you can use the Data Validation feature
(choose Validation in the Data menu to open the Data Validation dialog
box) in eight separate cells. For each cell, in the Data Validation
dialog box select the List option in the Allow drop-down list and in
the Source field use the range finder to select the range of cells that
contains the list of values that are "valid."

This validates the values before the 8-part model number is created. Is
that what you're looking for? Or do you need to further validate the
resulting combination against a list of model numbers?

-Ryan