Shawk

Default Sorting 'legal' numbers

Have been sent a spreadsheet of various requirements. One column has
numbers in a legal type format i.e. 1.1.2, 1.2.3 up to 1.1.13. I need
to sort these but of course 1.1.13 then gets put before the 1.2 Anyway
of doing this?

Many thanks, Shaun

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dave O

Step one: save your data before using new functions, so you don't lose
anything!

One way to do this is to insert some columns, then highlight your
"legal" numbers column. On the menu at the top click Data Text To
Columns and in the prompts that follow indicate the period as your
delimiter. This function will separate each entry into its component
numbers, so from there you can highlight the rows and perform a
multi-column sort ("Sort by Column A, then by Column B, then by Column
C").

Greetings from Virginia, USA, near Washington DC.

Shawk

Dave O wrote:
Step one: save your data before using new functions, so you don't lose
anything!

One way to do this is to insert some columns, then highlight your
"legal" numbers column. On the menu at the top click Data Text To
Columns and in the prompts that follow indicate the period as your
delimiter. This function will separate each entry into its component
numbers, so from there you can highlight the rows and perform a
multi-column sort ("Sort by Column A, then by Column B, then by Column
C").

Greetings from Virginia, USA, near Washington DC.

That worked great and saved me hours. I also learned a new function.
Really do appreciate it. Shaun

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dave O

Glad it worked out for you!