Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I send a spreadsheet so it's not a "read only"

my co-worker has sent me a workbook that is read only. I had him check Tool,
Options, Security, and he says read only isn't checked. I also had him check
protection, and nothing is protected. What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does he or someone else have the workbook open when you are trying to open
it? If two people try to access the same workbook the first person who has
it open it can operate as normal, the 2nd person opening it can get the
read-only message as excel tries to prevent two people from trying to change
a sheet at the same time. (Not sure if this is an option you can turn on or
off.)

"jlacher" wrote:

my co-worker has sent me a workbook that is read only. I had him check Tool,
Options, Security, and he says read only isn't checked. I also had him check
protection, and nothing is protected. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jlacher wrote:

my co-worker has sent me a workbook that is read only. I had him check Tool,
Options, Security, and he says read only isn't checked. I also had him check
protection, and nothing is protected. What am I missing?

Hi jlacher

If the workbook was sent as an attachment, then it's Read Only because
it's still embedded in your e-mail.

Click File Save as , save it and it'll lose the Read Only tag.

If you were sent a shortcut to the file on a shared drive then someone
else has the file open so you will have to wait for them to close it.

Regards

Steve