Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default need to search a table such as distance table in road maps.

In a road map you normally find a distance table. I develop a spread sheet
simmilar to this and need to find the number where the column and line number
meet. Thus if I enter Town one in A1 and Town two in A2, the formula is in
A3, and will display the distance between the towns. When I change A1 or A2,
A3 will show the new distance.
Thank you.
Ronnie.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ronnie wrote:
In a road map you normally find a distance table. I develop a spread
sheet simmilar to this and need to find the number where the column
and line number meet. Thus if I enter Town one in A1 and Town two in
A2, the formula is in A3, and will display the distance between the
towns. When I change A1 or A2, A3 will show the new distance.
Thank you.
Ronnie.

Do a Google search for
excel xindex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A A B C
1 1 14 11 14
14 2 4 7 1
3 9 13 12

Towns are A,B,C in row 1, columns C to E
Towns are 1,2,3 in column B, rows 2 to 4

A1=A
A2=1
A3 has formula =INDEX(C2:E4,MATCH(A1,$C$1:$E$1,0),MATCH(A2,$B$2:$ B$4,0))
Result is 14

HTH