Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I set the default Excel app. to launch (2003 vs 2007)?

My box has Office 2003 as well as Office 12 (beta). I want my Excel
2003 app. to be the default program and NOT Office 12 version. I'm
assuming it's a registry value but I wouldn't know where to
start...suggestions?

--
Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558508

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

Right click on the file and select 'open with..' and select 'Browse...' from
the dialog. Browse to you 'Program Files' folder, then 'Microsoft Office'
choose Office11 (NOT Office 12) folder and in here you will find a folder
called Excel. select this and as you get back to the original dialog, be
sure to select the small check box with 'always use this program to open
these files'

All should now be well.

If not try running add/remove programs from control panel and select change
against Office 2003 and do a detect and repair, ensuring you select 'restore
shortcuts' This will fix it too

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Air_Cooled_Nut"
<Air_Cooled_Nut.2ahd3c_1152116402.4325@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:Air_Cooled_Nut.2ahd3c_1152116402.4325@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

My box has Office 2003 as well as Office 12 (beta). I want my Excel
2003 app. to be the default program and NOT Office 12 version. I'm
assuming it's a registry value but I wouldn't know where to
start...suggestions?

--
Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558508

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this first...........

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

StartRun ""C:\program files\microsoft office\office11\excel.exe /regserver"(no
quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

If no joy with the above......................

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:16:31 -0500, Air_Cooled_Nut
<Air_Cooled_Nut.2ahd3c_1152116402.4325@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote:

My box has Office 2003 as well as Office 12 (beta). I want my Excel
2003 app. to be the default program and NOT Office 12 version. I'm
assuming it's a registry value but I wouldn't know where to
start...suggestions?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks guys for the help :-)

Nick, your method didn't work. There was no option to restore links at
all for Office 12 restoring/repairing. So I tried the next thing that I
was very aprehensive about and that was changing the File Type
information. It worked and I see that Gord suggested it as his second
fix.

Gord, your second method works just fine as I just found out before
coming back here :-)

Thanks for the help from both of you, I really appreciate it.

Gord Dibben Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Aw darn! Nick, my appologies...I mis-read your response :-( I was
trying it on 2007 and not 2003 DOH! So if anyone else has this issue
I'd recommend Nick's possible solution, but make sure you do it for
2003! LOL :-D

--
Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558508

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nick's method is quite a bit easier but I don't trust Windows to change file
associations properly all the time when using that method.

Just my preference...........some of those associations are hard to get rid of
or change.

Gord

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:58:49 -0500, Air_Cooled_Nut
<Air_Cooled_Nut.2ahq20_1152133202.7012@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote:

Aw darn! Nick, my appologies...I mis-read your response :-( I was
trying it on 2007 and not 2003 DOH! So if anyone else has this issue
I'd recommend Nick's possible solution, but make sure you do it for
2003! LOL :-D

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some are so persistent it is necessary to go in and delete the file type
completely then re-build from scratch.

Gord

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:43:51 +0100, "Nick Hodge"
wrote:

Gord

Interestingly, neither do I really, it's just I find it works about 80% of
the time and was the easiest to try for the OP. Sometimes I have to try
three or four routes to get it to stick ;-)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP