Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need "average" help

I am trying to calculate an average of numbers, based on who owns those
numbers. In summary, D4:D1000 will have a person's last name. M4:m1000 will
have a number entered into it. I want to average M4:M1000 but only using the
numbers that correspond with a single last name. For instance, the last name
Smith appears in d4:d100; I want to average only those numbers associated
with the Smith name. Also, I need to do this without sorting. My results are
on another sheet in the workbook so my information is contained in sheet 1,
but my formula (results) is located in sheet 2. Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Worked beautifully. Thanks so much! I tried the array at one point but my
problem was I was typing 'lastname', instead of "lastname". Thanks again!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

this is an array formula that must be entered using ctrl+shift+enter instead
of just enter
=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J23="lastname",L2:L23))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Kycajun" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate an average of numbers, based on who owns those
numbers. In summary, D4:D1000 will have a person's last name. M4:m1000
will
have a number entered into it. I want to average M4:M1000 but only using
the
numbers that correspond with a single last name. For instance, the last
name
Smith appears in d4:d100; I want to average only those numbers associated
with the Smith name. Also, I need to do this without sorting. My results
are
on another sheet in the workbook so my information is contained in sheet
1,
but my formula (results) is located in sheet 2. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the easiest way would be to use a Pivot Table that would
automatically list each user and the average values per user

But, to use ARRAY FORMULAS*, try this:

On Sheet2:
A1: (name1)
A2: (name2)
etc

B1: =AVERAGE(IF(Sheet1!$D$4:$D$1000=Sheet2!A1,Sheet1!$ M$4:$M$1000))
Copy that formula down as far as needed

*Note: For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
[Enter], instead of just pressing [Enter].

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP