Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 modifies XLS files without saving!

Hi,
I've tried looking for an answer for this, but came up with nothing :-(

I've noticed that when you open a XLS file in Excel and close without
saving, the file on disk is modified. You can even see the date/time
for the XLS on disk change to the current date/time when opened, but if
you don't save, Excel changes the date/time back to what it was, making
it appear as if it wasn't changed.
If you use a binary comparison tool, you can see that there are a few
bytes that get changed. If you have made the XLS file readonly, it
never gets changed.
The binary changes can cause a lot of problems, especially when using
something like version control, synchronisation or duplicate finding
programs. Even comparing a XLS file from a ZIP archive and one that was
extracted and then opened will be shown as different.

Does anyone know of a way to stop Excel from making these background
changes?
Or maybe some pointers on where I can find an answer.

Cheers, BlueMM