Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Heidi

Default Custom Format - show as decimal

I need to enter a lot of numbers that look like "0.000124". There are always
3 leading zeros after the decimal.

I'd LIKE to just ENTER "124" and have excel convert it to the "real" number
automatically (sort of like if you enter 40 in a % formatted column, it
automatically converts it to 0.40).

Do I have to use a formula, or is there a custom format that would work?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheila D

I don't know a format that will do it but you could put the number in 1
column and then have a formulae in the next column:
=VALUE("0.000"&CellRef) Replace CellRef with the cell address you have the
number in
The Value function makes sure it is stored as a number not as Text. HTH
Sheila

"Heidi" wrote:

I need to enter a lot of numbers that look like "0.000124". There are always
3 leading zeros after the decimal.

I'd LIKE to just ENTER "124" and have excel convert it to the "real" number
automatically (sort of like if you enter 40 in a % formatted column, it
automatically converts it to 0.40).

Do I have to use a formula, or is there a custom format that would work?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I can think of a couple of ways to do this.

1. Use event code that divides 124 by 1,000,000 when you enter it

2. Enable ToolsEditFixed Decimal Places and set for 6

Note: second option can be turned on/off by macro for ease of use.

Post back if want to go either of these routes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:57:02 -0700, Heidi
wrote:

I need to enter a lot of numbers that look like "0.000124". There are always
3 leading zeros after the decimal.

I'd LIKE to just ENTER "124" and have excel convert it to the "real" number
automatically (sort of like if you enter 40 in a % formatted column, it
automatically converts it to 0.40).

Do I have to use a formula, or is there a custom format that would work?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
b&s

"Heidi" wrote:

I need to enter a lot of numbers that look like "0.000124". There
are always 3 leading zeros after the decimal.

I'd LIKE to just ENTER "124" and have excel convert it to the "real"
number automatically (sort of like if you enter 40 in a % formatted
column, it automatically converts it to 0.40).

Do I have to use a formula, or is there a custom format that would
work? Thanks!

.... try custom format: "0.000"#

--
regards/pozdrav!
Berislav

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

I believe OP wanted it converted to the "real" 0.000124

Formatting does not convert, just changes appearance.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP