Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bin

Default How to find the top 5% observations

Hi,
I have an array of data, and would like to chop off the top 5% and the
bottom 5% observations. How can I do this?
thank you very much
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

You want to "chop off the top 5% and the bottom 5%"?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "chop off".

Delete them from the list?
Filter them out?
Perform a calculation on the list, but excluding the top/bottom 5%?
or something else?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Bin" wrote:

Hi,
I have an array of data, and would like to chop off the top 5% and the
bottom 5% observations. How can I do this?
thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bin

sorry for the confusion.
I want to find the cut-off point and delete the observations above the
point(top 5%) and below the point (bottom 5%)
thank you

"Bin" wrote:

Hi,
I have an array of data, and would like to chop off the top 5% and the
bottom 5% observations. How can I do this?
thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Use Autofilter:

Let's say we have a header cell in A1 and data from A2 on down.
Sort this data.
In B1 and C1 put header information
in B2 put
=ROW() and copy down
in C2 put
=B2/MAX(B:B) and copy down

Then in C1 switch-on Autofilter and select Custom:
Greater than .05
and
Less than .95

The top 5% and bottom 5% should be filtered out.
--
Gary''s Student