Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
henryshuttle

Default subtract

I have cell A1 and Cell A2.
A1=5
A2=no value yet.

I want to be able to type in a value in A2 that already has a formula which
subtracts A1 from the value I typed in.
Example,
A1=5. When I type 15 in A2, I want to see the result of 10 in A2(hence the
difference of A2-A1)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

Hi Henry
Use =IF(A2<"",A2-A1,"")
If A2 is not empty, then do the subtraction, else do nothing. The "" are
two double quotes, aka 'speech signs"
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"henryshuttle" wrote in message
I have cell A1 and Cell A2.
A1=5
A2=no value yet.

I want to be able to type in a value in A2 that already has a formula
which
subtracts A1 from the value I typed in.
Example,
A1=5. When I type 15 in A2, I want to see the result of 10 in A2(hence the
difference of A2-A1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

You can't type in a value AND have a formula in the same cell. The value will
simply replace the formula.