bkbrueggemann

Default Excel 2003 Filter Problem

I recently upgraded to Excel 2003 and am having a problem with filtering.
Occasionally (and I don't know what I'm doing that causes it!) when I apply a
filter, it "freezes" the worksheet and I'm unable to filter on other columns
or even to remove the filter. I'd appreciate any help or ideas!
Dave Peterson

Have you been screwing around cleaning up workbook/worksheet names?

Do you see the arrows, but when you click on them, they don't do anything?

If yes, maybe this will fix the problem.

Select your cells with the arrows -- just the header row is enough.

Then Insert|name|Define
in the names in workbook box, type this:

'Sheet1'!_FilterDatabase

(change sheet1 to match your worksheet name.)

This is a hidden name that excel needs to use. If you delete it, you can have
problems with autofilter.

--

Dave Peterson
Excelwonderer

no, this doesn't solve the problem. i also have been having this problem
with excel and i see a few other people have posted it. i still haven't
found an answer though. is this a bug in later versions of excel?

bkbrueggemann wrote:

I recently upgraded to Excel 2003 and am having a problem with filtering.
Occasionally (and I don't know what I'm doing that causes it!) when I apply a
filter, it "freezes" the worksheet and I'm unable to filter on other columns
or even to remove the filter. I'd appreciate any help or ideas!

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I use xl2002 (under win98) at home.

I haven't seen xl freeze with autofilters--although I don't do that much with
worksheets filled with lots of data at home.