Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steven

Default how to keyboard select cells for a formula if arrow keys don't wo

Hi,

I've got a problem using keyboard to select cells when editing some "
sticky" formula. By "sticky", I mean when the arrows don't move you out of
the cell you are editing.

I found this problem does not exist when starting a new formula, where you
can use arrow keys to select other cells. It is a problem for editing
existing formula.

For example, when you return to re-edit an existing formula like the MIN,
once you insert the cursor there, the arrow keys only moves within the cell
rather than allowing you to select other cells needed to complete the
formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SimonCC

First of all make sure your status bar is showing in Excel. If not, from
top menu go to View -- Status Bar.

When you first enter a formula, you'll notice the status bar showing
"Enter". That mode allows you to move to other cells with arrow keys. When
you go back to edit the formula, you'll notice the status bar now shows
"Edit", which is the problem you described. You can just simply press the F2
key to toggle between Enter and Edit mode. That will allow you to either
move the curor within the cell or move to other cells for cell reference.

-Simon

"Steven" wrote:

Hi,

I've got a problem using keyboard to select cells when editing some "
sticky" formula. By "sticky", I mean when the arrows don't move you out of
the cell you are editing.

I found this problem does not exist when starting a new formula, where you
can use arrow keys to select other cells. It is a problem for editing
existing formula.

For example, when you return to re-edit an existing formula like the MIN,
once you insert the cursor there, the arrow keys only moves within the cell
rather than allowing you to select other cells needed to complete the
formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Luis

Steven,
Try putting the cursor in the spot where you want to add the cell, then
CLICK the cell you want to put with the mouse and it should show up in the
formula cell. Hope it helps.
Luis

"Steven" wrote:

Hi,

I've got a problem using keyboard to select cells when editing some "
sticky" formula. By "sticky", I mean when the arrows don't move you out of
the cell you are editing.

I found this problem does not exist when starting a new formula, where you
can use arrow keys to select other cells. It is a problem for editing
existing formula.

For example, when you return to re-edit an existing formula like the MIN,
once you insert the cursor there, the arrow keys only moves within the cell
rather than allowing you to select other cells needed to complete the
formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steven

Default how to keyboard select cells for a formula if arrow keys don'

It worked! thanks a lot, Simon!