Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JeffreyO

Default Tricky number formatting

I don't know if this is even possible, but I'm building a spreadsheet
that requires salary data in thousands rounded to nearest hundred (e.g.
$53,817 = 53.8) I've got approximately 1400 employees on the report so
I don't really want to do each one "by hand." Is there a way to format
this?

--
JeffreyO
JeffreyO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35385

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim M

=(ROUND(A1,3))*0.001

See if this will do the trick, in the formula cell A1 is the 1st cell with
your salary data. you will have to format your column how you want the
numbers to appear (in your example your result was 53.8 so you would have to
format the column to numberic, 1 decimal)

"JeffreyO" wrote:

I don't know if this is even possible, but I'm building a spreadsheet
that requires salary data in thousands rounded to nearest hundred (e.g.
$53,817 = 53.8) I've got approximately 1400 employees on the report so
I don't really want to do each one "by hand." Is there a way to format
this?

--
JeffreyO
JeffreyO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35385
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551543

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JeffreyO

That got it. Thank you!!

--
JeffreyO
JeffreyO's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35385
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551543

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:59:01 -0500, JeffreyO
wrote:

I don't know if this is even possible, but I'm building a spreadsheet
that requires salary data in thousands rounded to nearest hundred (e.g.
$53,817 = 53.8) I've got approximately 1400 employees on the report so
I don't really want to do each one "by hand." Is there a way to format
this?

If you want to retain the "real number" of 53,817, you could use the custom
format:

Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: #.0,

--ron