Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
metaltecks

Default Date Question

In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.

I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month, day,
and year.
In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
How do I do that without manually doing it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Leith Ross

Hello metaltecks,

Say your date 4/14/1998 is in cell A1, and you want the B1, C1, D1 to
show the day, month and year then add these forumlae into the cells

B1
=Day(A1)

C1
=Month(A1)

D1
=Year(A1)

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
metaltecks

I tried using this function, but I keep on getting a wierd result.
For example, if the date is 9/6/2005 in a1, in b1 I put =month(a1) and I get
1/9/1900 as my answer.

Am I doing something wrong?

"metaltecks" wrote:

In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.

I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month, day,
and year.
In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
How do I do that without manually doing it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"metaltecks" wrote in message
"metaltecks" wrote:

In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.

I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month,
day,
and year.
In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
How do I do that without manually doing it?

Can these functions work if the format in column A1 is 04/04/05?

If you are referring the functions in Leith Ross's reply (though you seem to
have replied to your own message rather than his), then yes, they'll work if
your column is really a date.
If your column is text, then you can split it with Data/ Text to Columns.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"metaltecks" wrote:

"metaltecks" wrote:

In my spreadsheet I have a date column, ex 4/14/1998.

I need to parse out the date, so I will have one column as the month,
day,
and year.
In otherwords, i will a separate column for each of these numbers.
How do I do that without manually doing it?

Can these functions work if the format in column A1 is 04/04/05?

See the answer to your earlier message.

I tried using this function, but I keep on getting a wierd result.
For example, if the date is 9/6/2005 in a1, in b1 I put =month(a1) and I
get
1/9/1900 as my answer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Again I'm guessing that you may be thinking of the functions in Leith Ross's
message, though you seem to have replied to your own message rather than
his?

Yes, you are doing something wrong, you're getting confused between dates
and numbers. I would recommend that you look in Excel's help at what
functions such as MONTH() are intended to do. MONTH takes as its input a
date in Excel's date format, and its output is an integer from 1 to 12
representing the month. Excel's help explains the format of the date-time
code used by Excel for the input. You have produced 9 as the output for the
month, but instead of treating it as a number you have formatted the cell as
if it were a date, and the number 9 would represent the 9th of January 1900.
If you format it as general, rather than as a date, then it will be shown as
9.
--
David Biddulph