-   -   Can I have multiple columns widths within a column? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/93543-can-i-have-multiple-columns-widths-within-column.html)

heather

Can I have multiple columns widths within a column?

How do I do this? Cell B1 is 30 width and cell B2 is 20 width? Thanks,
Heather

Toppers

Can I have multiple columns widths within a column?

You can't!

"heather" wrote:

How do I do this? Cell B1 is 30 width and cell B2 is 20 width? Thanks,
Heather

T Kirtley

Can I have multiple columns widths within a column?

You can merge cells from multiple columns to make certain cells in a column
appear wider, but you need to have an adjacent blank cell that you can use
for this purpose.

In your example you could select cells B1:C1 and then open the Alignment tab
of the Format Cells option dialog box and select the Merge Cells option box.
Then resize both columns B and C as needed to display the contents of both
cells.

Hope that helps,

TK

"heather" wrote:

How do I do this? Cell B1 is 30 width and cell B2 is 20 width? Thanks,
Heather

Gord Dibben

Can I have multiple columns widths within a column?

If you go with the merged cells, be prepared for future problems when attempting
to copy, paste, sort, filter and others I can't think of of.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"heather" wrote:

How do I do this? Cell B1 is 30 width and cell B2 is 20 width? Thanks,
Heather

heather

Can I have multiple columns widths within a column?

Thank you for the input! I'll try it.

Heather

"heather" wrote:

How do I do this? Cell B1 is 30 width and cell B2 is 20 width? Thanks,
Heather

heather

Can I have multiple columns widths within a column?

Hey Gord,

Thank you for the warnings. I only need to make a sheet from which a hard
copy will be made. I'm making a form so I won't need to sort or filter.
It's good to know for future use though. I appreciate the information.

Heather