Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveT

Default Why Can I not "Find" data in Protected Sheet

How can I use the "Find" tool in a protected worksheet.

I'm sure something simple but for the life of me can't figure it out.

Thanks for your assistance!

Steven
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Karen

Hi Steve,

As far as I know, you should still be able to use the "Find" feature,
but just not the "Find and Replace" feature.

I use Excel 2003 and even in protected documents I can go to Edit, Find
and find the cells, but am not allowed to change their contents (unless
of course, I unprotect the sheet).

Karen

SteveT wrote:
How can I use the "Find" tool in a protected worksheet.

I'm sure something simple but for the life of me can't figure it out.

Thanks for your assistance!

Steven

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann

Steve,

Is it possible that the sheet was protected with the option to not allow
selection of locked cells selected?

I have XL 97 at home so this is just a guess.

--
HTH

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk

"SteveT" wrote in message
How can I use the "Find" tool in a protected worksheet.

I'm sure something simple but for the life of me can't figure it out.

Thanks for your assistance!

Steven

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Saruman

In Excel 2003, if a cell is locked and the worksheet is protected so you
cannot select locked cells, you can only find a data item using the find All
Button on the Find and Replace Menu. Normally, when the find next button is
pressed, the selection moves to that item and places the active border
around that cell, but where you are unable to select locked cells, it cannot
be moved there. If the find all button is used, then a window below the
buttons opens showing the cell where the data is stored without moving the
active cell to it. Normally in Excel, you can click on an item in this
window and jump to that location but in this instance you can't because of
the protection. You will need to manually scroll to that location.

--
Saruman

All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Norton Antivirus 2003
oups.com...

SteveT wrote:
How can I use the "Find" tool in a protected worksheet.

I'm sure something simple but for the life of me can't figure it out.

Thanks for your assistance!

Steven

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveT

Thank you all for your replies -But-
I've tried them all to no avail. Working in XL2003

Tried:
- Unprotecting cells users may want to 'Cntl F' (find)
- Allowed all users.... to 'Select locked cells' & 'Select un-locked cells'
- 'Cntl F' and 'Find All'

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Krgds, Steven