Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dramajuana

Default I don't want formulas!

Okay, is there any way I can disable formulas? I don't need them, and it's
frustrating when I use a dash as a placeholder (-) and it starts to make a
formula.

I'm making a spreadsheet that has appointment times on it and such. Another
thing it does is when I put that an appt is from 8-11, it decides that I mean
August 11. I changed the property of that column to time, but then if I put
9-1, it thinks I mean 1 am. Is there any way to make it not care about am or
pm, because I think I can figure it out without putting 13 for 1 pm.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Mathews

A simple way to accomplish what you want would be to first highlight all the
cells in the range where you'd like the non-formula data to go, then
right-click within the highlighted area and select "Format cells...", then
click on the "Number" tab and select the "Category:" of "Text". This makes
all the cells in that range text only cells. So, now, if you enter "8-11",
it remains, "8-11". Hope this helps.

Paul

"dramajuana" wrote:

Okay, is there any way I can disable formulas? I don't need them, and it's
frustrating when I use a dash as a placeholder (-) and it starts to make a
formula.

I'm making a spreadsheet that has appointment times on it and such. Another
thing it does is when I put that an appt is from 8-11, it decides that I mean
August 11. I changed the property of that column to time, but then if I put
9-1, it thinks I mean 1 am. Is there any way to make it not care about am or
pm, because I think I can figure it out without putting 13 for 1 pm.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Preformat the cell as Text (format|cells|number tab)

or start with a leading apostrophe:
'-yourtexthere

If you type times:
09:00
or
1:00 PM

You'll have fewer problems.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dramajuana

Thanks for the apostrophe tip. That helps.

Yeah, I figured that out with the times. I'm just lazy and was looking for a
way to save a half a second.