Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MivPiv

Default "translate" numbers into words

I have one column which contains cost numbers. Column E.
I would like to automatically "translate" the cost number into a word in the
next cell in columnF

I hvave tried to do like this =IF(E20=300015;"Staff Cost") and that of
course works. But what do I do when I have 30-50 differetn numbers to choose
from. i have tried to put more "IF's" in there and just continue the formula
for each number/word - but that doesnt seem to help.

I appreciate any help I can get on this
Best regards,
Miv
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Norman Jones

Hi MivPiv.

You could download Laurent Longre's MoreFunc addin which is freely
downloadable at:

http://xcell05.free.fr/

The addin includes the NBTEXT function which converts a positive number into
spelled-out text (supports 13 languages).

Also see:
'How to convert a numeric value into English words in Excel'

and
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;259663
'How To Convert Currency or Numbers into English Words'

If you are not familiar with macros, you may wish to visit David McRitchie's
'Getting Started With Macros And User Defined Functions' at:

---
Regards,
Norman

"MivPiv" wrote in message
I have one column which contains cost numbers. Column E.
I would like to automatically "translate" the cost number into a word in
the
next cell in columnF

I hvave tried to do like this =IF(E20=300015;"Staff Cost") and that of
course works. But what do I do when I have 30-50 differetn numbers to
choose
from. i have tried to put more "IF's" in there and just continue the
formula
for each number/word - but that doesnt seem to help.

I appreciate any help I can get on this
Best regards,
Miv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ardus Petus

Build a lookup table (in another sheet if you want, like Sheet2)
A B
300015 Staff Cost
300020 Engineer Cost
300030 Booze Cost

etc...

Then, in your original sheet, enter in column F:
=VLOOKUP(E20,Sheet2!A1:B50,2,0)

HTH
--
AP

"MivPiv" a écrit dans le message de news:
I have one column which contains cost numbers. Column E.
I would like to automatically "translate" the cost number into a word in
the
next cell in columnF

I hvave tried to do like this =IF(E20=300015;"Staff Cost") and that of
course works. But what do I do when I have 30-50 differetn numbers to
choose
from. i have tried to put more "IF's" in there and just continue the
formula
for each number/word - but that doesnt seem to help.

I appreciate any help I can get on this
Best regards,
Miv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Norman Jones

Hi MivPiv,

Apologies - please ignore my response.

I read your question with too little care!

---
Regards,
Norman