Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PABHL

Default Count Function

I am trying to figure out a way to insert a function that will count the
categorical data within a column. For example in a column titled 'outcome' I
would like to tally how many people were in one of the following 3
conditions: 'rescheduled', 'UTC', 'Other' Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try this:

For a list of value in A1:A30

This formula returns the count of items equalling "rescheduled","UTC", or
"Other":
B1: =SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A30,{"rescheduled","UTC","Other"}) )

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"PABHL" wrote:

I am trying to figure out a way to insert a function that will count the
categorical data within a column. For example in a column titled 'outcome' I
would like to tally how many people were in one of the following 3
conditions: 'rescheduled', 'UTC', 'Other' Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PABHL

Thank you so much for your help although I don't think I was too clear in my
original question. What I was hoping to do was find a way to generate an
individual total for each of the 3 options... so for example out of 500
subjects how many were 'rescheduled' (N = some number), 'utc' (N = some
number), or 'other'. I think my original post made it sound as though I
wanted to total all of the categorical data together within a column- sorry
for the confusion!

Take care,

"PABHL" wrote:

I am trying to figure out a way to insert a function that will count the
categorical data within a column. For example in a column titled 'outcome' I
would like to tally how many people were in one of the following 3
conditions: 'rescheduled', 'UTC', 'Other' Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

=COUNTIF(A:A,number_for_utc)

etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"PABHL" wrote:

I am trying to figure out a way to insert a function that will count

the
categorical data within a column. For example in a column titled

'outcome' I
would like to tally how many people were in one of the following 3
conditions: 'rescheduled', 'UTC', 'Other' Suggestions would be

greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

PABHL

Try this:

For a list of value in A1:A30

Count of "rescheduled"
B1: rescheduled
C1: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$30,B1)

Count of "UTC"
B2: UTC
C2: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$30,B2)
etc

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"PABHL" wrote:

I am trying to figure out a way to insert a function that will count the
categorical data within a column. For example in a column titled 'outcome' I
would like to tally how many people were in one of the following 3
conditions: 'rescheduled', 'UTC', 'Other' Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Allllen

Just use

=COUNTIF(A1:A30,"rescheduled") etc

--
Allllen

"PABHL" wrote:

I am trying to figure out a way to insert a function that will count the
categorical data within a column. For example in a column titled 'outcome' I
would like to tally how many people were in one of the following 3
conditions: 'rescheduled', 'UTC', 'Other' Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PABHL

Thanks! Appreciate all the help