Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Daniel Q.

Default FILL cells

Is there anyway to fill cells by highlighting 2 or 3 at a time but have the
fill go only consecutively? i highlight 2 cells at a time and i want it to
go 1, 2, 3 every 2 cells rather it goes, 1, 3, 5.

DSQ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe....

I put 1 in A1 and 2 in A3
then I selected A1:A4 (including 2 empty cells)
and rightclicked on the autofill button and dragged down the range.

When I let go of the mouse, I chose Fill Series.

And I ended up with 1, 2, 3, ... in every other row.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Daniel~
Not exactly sure what you're trying to get at, but the way I read it is
that you want
1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 , with a number of blank cells
between each value.
The simplest way to do this might be to set up the first series and
highlight everything, including the empty cells after the 3.
Right-click the autofill square at the bottom right of your highlighted
range and fun it out as far as you want it. Then a option menu will
come up and click copy cells.
Regards,
Jay

Daniel Q. wrote:
Is there anyway to fill cells by highlighting 2 or 3 at a time but have the
fill go only consecutively? i highlight 2 cells at a time and i want it to
go 1, 2, 3 every 2 cells rather it goes, 1, 3, 5.

DSQ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Daniel Q.

I used numbers to represent formulas in my original question but maybe i
shouldn't have dont that. here it goes again:

this is what i have:
A spreadsheet is linked to another spreadsheet. A1:A3 have 3 different
formulas (ie. A1 = =+[test.xls]Sheet1!C3070; A2: =+[test.xls]Sheet1!H3070; A3
: =+[test.xls]Sheet1!R3070).

I highlighted those 3 rows and dragged down to fill the rest of the cells.
When doing so i ended up with:
A4 = =+[test.xls]Sheet1!C3073; A5: =+[test.xls]Sheet1!H3073; A3 :
=+[test.xls]Sheet1!R3073
when what i really wanted was:
A1 = =+[test.xls]Sheet1!C3071; A2: =+[test.xls]Sheet1!H3071; A3 :
=+[test.xls]Sheet1!R3071.

Is this possible?

Hopefully i've been more explanatory and i have not confused y'all even
more. THANX FOR ALL THE HELP!

DSQ

Daniel Q. wrote:
Is there anyway to fill cells by highlighting 2 or 3 at a time but have the
fill go only consecutively? i highlight 2 cells at a time and i want it to
go 1, 2, 3 every 2 cells rather it goes, 1, 3, 5.

DSQ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think you had a typo in the last "what I really wanted was:"

You want this?

A1 =[test.xls]Sheet1!C3070
A2 =[test.xls]Sheet1!H3070
A3 =[test.xls]Sheet1!R3070
A4 =[test.xls]Sheet1!C3071
A5 =[test.xls]Sheet1!H3071
A6 =[test.xls]Sheet1!R3071

If so, I like this technique:

Put this in A1:A3

="$$$[test.xls]Sheet1!c"&INT((ROW()-1)/3)+3070
="$$$[test.xls]Sheet1!h"&INT((ROW()-1)/3)+3070
="$$$[test.xls]Sheet1!r"&INT((ROW()-1)/3)+3070

Drag down as far as you want.

These aren't formulas, but they kind of look like it, huh?

Next select all those cells
Edit|copy
Edit|paste special|Values

Now those are just strings in those cells.

With that range still selected
edit|Replace
what: $$$
with: =