Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel vs. Access

I'm just wondering what the pro's here think the answer would be to
this question.
Would a school markbook program be more suitable as an Excel project or
an Access project?

I know it would be possible to come up with something in either
program, but what would be the more natural and easy fit?

TIA Ric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Harald Staff

Hi Ric

If a project like that has "one-to-many-relations" or
"many-to-many-relations" then it is database work, not spreadsheet work.
One-to-many relations work like this:

One building, one or more fathers.
One father, one or more children.
One child, one or more books

many-to-many relations in this context:

Many books, many authors.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

skrev i melding
oups.com...
I'm just wondering what the pro's here think the answer would be to
this question.
Would a school markbook program be more suitable as an Excel project or
an Access project?

I know it would be possible to come up with something in either
program, but what would be the more natural and easy fit?

TIA Ric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Manoj

I guess Access will be a better option as it more flexible with data in these
kind of applications. Excel might get a bit complicated with macros and vb
requirements.

Manoj

" wrote:

I'm just wondering what the pro's here think the answer would be to
this question.
Would a school markbook program be more suitable as an Excel project or
an Access project?

I know it would be possible to come up with something in either
program, but what would be the more natural and easy fit?

TIA Ric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

Hi Ric,
I'm no expert, but I have made a markbook using Excel. I looked into
doing the same using File Maker Pro data base and very quickly
discovered that manipulation of marks is much more difficult with a
data base. eg a ranked list of students is very easy in Excel but I
gave up trying to figure out how to do it with the data base.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Hodge

Or...store the data in Access and build the reporting/calculations in
Excel???

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm just wondering what the pro's here think the answer would be to
this question.
Would a school markbook program be more suitable as an Excel project or
an Access project?

I know it would be possible to come up with something in either
program, but what would be the more natural and easy fit?

TIA Ric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nick Hodge wrote:
Or...store the data in Access and build the reporting/calculations in
Excel???

Thanks for the replies guys.
Is that really practical Nick, to use two apps at the same time?
I'd be looking to package this if I do it with a runtime. Can I use a
combo Excel/Access runtime?

Ric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

Nick Hodge wrote:
Rick

No Excel does not have a runtime

What the heck's a runtime?

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ken Johnson wrote:
Nick Hodge wrote:
Rick

No Excel does not have a runtime

What the heck's a runtime?

It's a stripped down version of the program, which allows it to be run
on an a computer that doesn't have the full program.
So you can run an Access db on a computer that doesn't have the full
version of Access.

Ric