Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
boof bonk boosh

Default Sum help please...

I have searched and searched but cannot find anything to assist, so I
decided to start my own thread. I hope this is OK.

I need to sum the total of the first 3 populated cells from 5.

ie.

A1 3.5
A2 3.1
A3 2.6
A4 1.9
A5 5

I need A1+A2+A3. However it may not always be so simple, as some cells
may be blank.

ie.

A1 3.5
A2
A3 2.6
A4 1.9
A5 5

I need A1+A3+A4.

Is it possible to sum UNTIL 3 cells have been summed? Will I need to
work along a row instead of down a column?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
boof bonk boosh
boof bonk boosh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35202

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrice

Try this...

=A1+A2+A3+IF(COUNT(A1:A3)<3,A4,0) +IF(COUNT(A1:A4)<3,A5,0)

The values of A4 and A5 are only included if there are less than three
numbers in the cells above them.

Hope this helps.

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549670

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
boof bonk boosh

mrice Wrote:
Try this...

=A1+A2+A3+IF(COUNT(A1:A3)<3,A4,0) +IF(COUNT(A1:A4)<3,A5,0)

The values of A4 and A5 are only included if there are less than three
numbers in the cells above them.

Hope this helps.

A great help, many thanks. Quite straight forward when it is spelt out
for you, but I'd been pulling my hair out for hours...!!!

--
boof bonk boosh
boof bonk boosh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35202
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549670

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roadkill

It's a little brute force, but how about something like:

"=IF(COUNTA(A1:A3)=3,SUM(A1:A3),IF(COUNTA(A1:A4)=3 ,SUM(A1:A4),SUM(A1:A5)))"

If there aren't 3 numbers in the 5 this will give you the sum of what's
there (or you can modify it to do something else).

Will

"boof bonk boosh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

The following UDF will sum the first 3 numbers it finds in a range of cells.
Press Alt+F11 to open the VBE, click INSERT in the menu and click MODULE.
You can paste the code in as is:

Function SumThree(CellRange As Range) As Double

Dim r As Range
Dim i As Integer
Dim intCounter As Integer
Dim varVal As Variant
Dim dblSum As Double

Set r = CellRange
Application.Volatile

For i = 1 To r.Cells.Count
varVal = r.Cells(i)
If varVal < "" Then
If IsNumeric(varVal) Then
dblSum = dblSum + CDbl(varVal)
intCounter = intCounter + 1
If intCounter = 3 Then Exit For
Next i

Set r = Nothing
SumThree = dblSum
Exit Function

End Function

--
Kevin Backmann

"boof bonk boosh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
boof bonk boosh

Thanks very much guys. You've been a great help..!!!