Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
phil2006

Default Copying cells

Hello,
Can anyone help me to copy a value from one cell to another. My work is
on sheets 1 and 2. Where I have a text word with a value in the column
next to it I need that value to appear on page two in the column next
to the same text word when I insert it regardless of it's position in
the table and how many times it is repeated.
Thanks

Phil

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zygan

i think this is what you mean.

example

""""""""""""""""SHEET1"""""""""""""""""""""
PERSON NAME
john 20
sarah 19
belinda 32
joesph 14
matt 15
homer 30
bart 12
maggie 1
lisa 10
marge 30

"""""""""""""""SHEET2""""""""""""""""""""""

put this code in the cell

=VLOOKUP("bart",A1:B20,1,FALSE)

then in the cell next to it

=VLOOKUP("bart",A1:B20,2,FALSE)

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ""
LINE 1
what it does is lookups bart in the range A1:B20 returns the column 1
value

LINE 2
what it does is lookups bart in the range A1:B20 returns the column 2
value

to get a better understanding click the cell you want it to go in and
click INSERT FUNCTION VLOOKUP and go through the steps

hope this helps

--
Zygan
Zygan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34423

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
phil2006

Thanks, that's sort of waht I mean but I need it to insert the value for
whichever name gets inserted. For example if I typed Bart it would add
his value, or if I typed Marge it would add hers. Is this possible?

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549358

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zygan

on sheet 1

SO if you have this list
PERSON NAME
john 20
sarah 19
belinda 32
joesph 14
matt 15
homer 30
bart 12
maggie 1
lisa 10
marge 30

and sheet 2

you have the "input cell" as A1 and there "other value" as B1 enter
this formula into B1

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B20,2,FALSE)

is this better ?

--
Zygan
Zygan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34423
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549358

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
phil2006

Thanks again but it's still not working! I have my list in column1 of
sheet1 and want the figures in column 3 of worksheet two to match
whenever I type the corresponding name from sheet1. Would this affect
the way I formulate it?
Thanks

--
phil2006
phil2006's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35092
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=549358

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Phil

I responded to your post in another ng.
Please refrain form posting to multiple groups as it wastes a lot of
time for people.
You have changed your requirement, you want column 3, not the adjacent
column so
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:C,3,0)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"phil2006" wrote
in message ...

Thanks again but it's still not working! I have my list in column1 of
sheet1 and want the figures in column 3 of worksheet two to match
whenever I type the corresponding name from sheet1. Would this affect
the way I formulate it?
Thanks

--
phil2006