Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan

Default Case specific LOOKUP alternative

Is there an alternative to the V/H LOOKUP worksheet functions which is case
specific?

If not can anyone suggest a way to have a case specific alternative comment?

for example I am trying to create an ASCII lookup table with two columns.
The characters in column A and the ascii number in column B so that I can use
a VLOOKUP in another sheet. However I need to be able to distinguish
between, for example 'f' and 'F'.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ardus Petus

Say the character to be searched is in D1:

=SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT(A1:A256;D1);B1:B256)

HTH
--
AP

le message de news: ...
"dan" wrote in message
Is there an alternative to the V/H LOOKUP worksheet functions which is

case
specific?

If not can anyone suggest a way to have a case specific alternative

comment?

for example I am trying to create an ASCII lookup table with two columns.
The characters in column A and the ascii number in column B so that I can

use
a VLOOKUP in another sheet. However I need to be able to distinguish
between, for example 'f' and 'F'.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan

It may, in this case, but I have another situation where I need the case
sensitive LOOKUP where the CODE function definately will not work.

Thanks for your help though - At least I can move forward on one of my
tasks! :)