Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formatting on words

how can you do a conditional formatting on a cell that contains words?

ie. I want to highlighted all the cell which contains hotel , such as
happy hotel
holiday inn hotel
hotel hyatt
club hotel resort
(these are all highlighted)

can we do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Highlight the column (say, A) and then try something like this:
=NOT(ISERROR(FIND("hotel",A1)))
Use the 'Formula is' option.

Andy.

wrote in message
ups.com...
how can you do a conditional formatting on a cell that contains words?

ie. I want to highlighted all the cell which contains hotel , such as
happy hotel
holiday inn hotel
hotel hyatt
club hotel resort
(these are all highlighted)

can we do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Use a formula of

=ISNUMBER(FIND("hotel"),A1)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ups.com...
how can you do a conditional formatting on a cell that contains words?

ie. I want to highlighted all the cell which contains hotel , such as
happy hotel
holiday inn hotel
hotel hyatt
club hotel resort
(these are all highlighted)

can we do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveG

This should work. Select the first cell in your range (in my example
A1). Go to Conditional Formatting. Change the CF option from Cell
Value is to Formula is. Enter.

=SEARCH("hotel",A1,1)

FormatPatterns and pick the color you'd like. Click OK. Copy this
format to the rest of your range.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wow
thats very helpul, thanks!!

Bob Phillips wrote:

Use a formula of

=ISNUMBER(FIND("hotel"),A1)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ups.com...
how can you do a conditional formatting on a cell that contains words?

ie. I want to highlighted all the cell which contains hotel , such as
happy hotel
holiday inn hotel
hotel hyatt
club hotel resort
(these are all highlighted)

can we do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

HI,
what if I want to highlight all the cell that contains hotel, villa,
resort and apartments?
how can i do that?

eg.
Apple hotel
banana hostel
caravan apartment
diana villa

how can i highlight apple hotel, caravan apartment and diana villa
using conditional formatting?

thanks.

SteveG wrote:

This should work. Select the first cell in your range (in my example
A1). Go to Conditional Formatting. Change the CF option from Cell
Value is to Formula is. Enter.

=SEARCH("hotel",A1,1)

FormatPatterns and pick the color you'd like. Click OK. Copy this
format to the rest of your range.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547883

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveG

That's it but you are limited to 3 CF's.

Regards,
Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547883

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

you could use

=OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hotel",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" villa",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARC
H("resort",A1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("apartments",A1) ))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

oups.com...

SteveG wrote:

This should work. Select the first cell in your range (in my example
A1). Go to Conditional Formatting. Change the CF option from Cell
Value is to Formula is. Enter.

=SEARCH("hotel",A1,1)

FormatPatterns and pick the color you'd like. Click OK. Copy this
format to the rest of your range.

HTH

Steve

--