Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
upper90

Default World Cup bracket help

hey everyone, i am pretty clueless when it comes to excel so I hope this
question makes sense or is possible

I am making an excel spreadsheet for the upcoming World Cup and have a
question...is it possible to have the text someone enters in a cell
show up in a completely different cell?

for instance, players will pick two teams to advance from each
group...say they put Mexico in cell D4....can the word Mexico
automatically show up in a different cell from a forumla, say J9? so
if someone different entered USA, then in their bracket USA would end
up in that cell...

make sense?

--
upper90
upper90's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35025

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ArenaNinja

upper90 Wrote:
hey everyone, i am pretty clueless when it comes to excel so I hope this
question makes sense or is possible

I am making an excel spreadsheet for the upcoming World Cup and have a
question...is it possible to have the text someone enters in a cell
show up in a completely different cell?

for instance, players will pick two teams to advance from each
group...say they put Mexico in cell D4....can the word Mexico
automatically show up in a different cell from a forumla, say J9? so
if someone different entered USA, then in their bracket USA would end
up in that cell...

make sense?

Entirely... Simply type =D4 in cell J9. Note that if you add
parentheses Excel will consider this a formula and will return a value
of 0 for any non-value content.

--
ArenaNinja
ArenaNinja's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33624

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"ArenaNinja" wrote
in message ...

upper90 Wrote:
hey everyone, i am pretty clueless when it comes to excel so I hope this
question makes sense or is possible

I am making an excel spreadsheet for the upcoming World Cup and have a
question...is it possible to have the text someone enters in a cell
show up in a completely different cell?

for instance, players will pick two teams to advance from each
group...say they put Mexico in cell D4....can the word Mexico
automatically show up in a different cell from a forumla, say J9? so
if someone different entered USA, then in their bracket USA would end
up in that cell...

make sense?

Entirely... Simply type =D4 in cell J9. Note that if you add
parentheses Excel will consider this a formula and will return a value
of 0 for any non-value content.

And in what way is that different from what happens without the parentheses?

If you want the result blank until there's an entry in the cell, try
=IF(D4="","",D4)
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ArenaNinja

David Biddulph Wrote:
"ArenaNinja"
wrote
in message

upper90 Wrote:
[...]

Sorry.. I didn't explain myself well enough. I meant to say that if the
value is not a numerical one but an alphanumerical one or any other
type, Excel will return 0.

--
ArenaNinja
ArenaNinja's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547664

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"ArenaNinja" wrote
in message ...

David Biddulph Wrote:
"ArenaNinja"
wrote
in message

upper90 Wrote:
[...]

For me it will return the alphanumeric value from D4, whether there are
parentheses or not.
= D4 and =(D4) give me the same result.
--
David Biddulph