Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shakey1181

Default LOOKUP Question [again!]

Apologies for another query, I have managed to get around the last one, so
thanks to all who helped.

I'm still struggling with the LOOKUP Function. I need to do a 'double'
vlookup so for example,

A1 = 01/01/06
B1 = 23
C1 = 250

how do i set the lookup so it returns C1 only if A1 and B1 are correct? I
have tried using two sets of vlookup at once, but without success.

Thanks again
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SamuelT

You could try adding an IF/AND formula at the start:

=IF(AND(B1=23, C1=250),VLOOKUP(whatever, whatever, whatever, FALSE),
"")

SamuelT

--
SamuelT
SamuelT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27501

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Lautman

shakey1181 wrote:
Apologies for another query, I have managed to get around the last
one, so thanks to all who helped.

I'm still struggling with the LOOKUP Function. I need to do a 'double'
vlookup so for example,

A1 = 01/01/06
B1 = 23
C1 = 250

how do i set the lookup so it returns C1 only if A1 and B1 are
correct? I have tried using two sets of vlookup at once, but without
success.

Thanks again

Look back in this forum to find Bob Phillips' reply to the Thread "Lookup
for concatenated data"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shakey1181

This isn't working, i still need to set the range i think.

I can't figure out how to set the range and returned cell when looking for
two specific values. so it would only return a value ONLY when A1 and B1 were
correct and otherwise to return 0.

A1 is a date, could this be causing the problem? I have checked that the
sheet the lookup is referencing is in the same format etc.

"SamuelT" wrote:

You could try adding an IF/AND formula at the start:

=IF(AND(B1=23, C1=250),VLOOKUP(whatever, whatever, whatever, FALSE),
"")

SamuelT

--
SamuelT
SamuelT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27501
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547066

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shakey1181

This doesn't work either, and I don't think this is really what I am looking
for. I don't think I have explained myself very well. so here goes:

for the sake of example i am working in cell b1 of sheet1! with column 'a'
populated with dates and c2:c11 containing the table relating to column 'b'
on sheet2!

the below details are on sheet2!

A1 B1 C1
01/01/2006 23 100
02/01/2006 24 200
03/01/2006 25 300

so i thought the formula might [but doesn't] look like this:

=vlookup(a1,sheet2!,a1:c3)+(vlookup(c2:c11,sheet2! b1:c3,2,false),0)

so it would only return sheet2! column C data if A was 01/01/06 and 23 was
in the array c2:c11 on sheet1!

"Paul Lautman" wrote:

shakey1181 wrote:
Apologies for another query, I have managed to get around the last
one, so thanks to all who helped.

I'm still struggling with the LOOKUP Function. I need to do a 'double'
vlookup so for example,

A1 = 01/01/06
B1 = 23
C1 = 250

how do i set the lookup so it returns C1 only if A1 and B1 are
correct? I have tried using two sets of vlookup at once, but without
success.

Thanks again

Look back in this forum to find Bob Phillips' reply to the Thread "Lookup
for concatenated data"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Lautman

Well, if you weren't explaining yourself very well before, I'm sorry to say
that you've got even worse!
As I read it (about 50 times so far!) this formula should do what you want:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(VLOOKUP(A1,sheet2stuff,2,FALSE),she et1stuff,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,sheet2stuff,3,FALSE))

where sheet1stuff is the name of the range Sheet1!C2:C11 and sheet2stuff is
the name of the range Sheet!A1:C3