Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
C.Hirsch

Default Defining a Text field based on its condition

I have a db with customer names that have not been populated the same way in
each field. I would like to be able to look @ the name in the field and in
another field in another column give it an identifier or group id. The logic
statement needs to check the condition and determine what to populate in the
"new column" based on what is in the "existing column"

Example

Existing Column New Column
ABC Co Team #1
XYZ Inc Team #2
abc co Team #1
XYZ Team #2

thanks,
C.Hirsch
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

This is a tough one to do completely automatically because there could be so
many variations.......you might consider using Data Filter Autofilter
Custom Contains and your search string.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"C.Hirsch" wrote:

I have a db with customer names that have not been populated the same way in
each field. I would like to be able to look @ the name in the field and in
another field in another column give it an identifier or group id. The logic
statement needs to check the condition and determine what to populate in the
"new column" based on what is in the "existing column"

Example

Existing Column New Column
ABC Co Team #1
XYZ Inc Team #2
abc co Team #1
XYZ Team #2

thanks,
C.Hirsch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
C.Hirsch

Maybe I am not sure of exactly what your saying. I tried the filtering as
you described but my main purpose of establishing this add'l column is so I
can put the db in a pivot table and combine different customers into
different groups. I needed a higher level group of categories for sorting in
the Pivot table.

Any add'l ideas?

thanks,
C.Hirsch

"C.Hirsch" wrote:

I have a db with customer names that have not been populated the same way in
each field. I would like to be able to look @ the name in the field and in
another field in another column give it an identifier or group id. The logic
statement needs to check the condition and determine what to populate in the
"new column" based on what is in the "existing column"

Example

Existing Column New Column
ABC Co Team #1
XYZ Inc Team #2
abc co Team #1
XYZ Team #2

thanks,
C.Hirsch

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Sorry, the filtering suggeston would only help group the normally ungroupable
items together.....you would still have to fill in the new column.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3