Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
izy

Default Open .csv file

Hello,

I am opening a .csv file with Excel. I have some series of data that
are formated like:

6-1
12-7
3-1
etc..

When it opens with excel it changes these to a date like:
1-Jun
7-Dec
1-Mar

And when I try and change the format of these cells back to general
text it has some strange number like:
38869
39058
38777

Is there any way to stop excel from converting this data to a date when
opening the csv file?

Thanks!

--
izy
izy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34942

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

If you change the extension to the file from .csv to .txt and then use
File | Open in Excel, then you will be taken directly into the Text
Import Wizard where you will be able to specify in the third dialogue
box that you want this column of data to be imported as Text rather
than as General.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
izy

When I opened as a text file no wizard started. It just put all the text
into one cell.

Anyways, I ended up changing the data from "6-1" to "6 to 1"

I wish there was a way to turn off the auto formatting within excel. I
gets very annoying at times.