Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Referencing a 2nd file

I'm trying to do a 'countif' function and running into problems. I have
one file called 2006 Master List and a second file called 2006 Stats
List. I want to publish the Master List and keep a Stats file that is
only available to a few people.

I want to gather information from the Master List but I'm running into
trouble and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. In the Stats List, I
type =, then click on to the Master List in the proper tab and then
type countif (S2:S78,0). Just to be clear, I'm trying to find out how
many times the number 0 shows up in S2 thru S78. When I'm done, it
looks like this: ='[2006 Master List.xls]TOTALS'! Countif(S2:S78,0).

How do I get this to work?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

You just have it backwards.

Try it again so that Excel puts in the path.

Open file 2006 Master List.

In the file where you want this formula:

Enter:

=COUNTIF(

Now, navigate to 2006 Master List select the tab and range.

Finish the formula by typing in the comma and 0) then hit Enter.

The formula should look like this:

=COUNTIF('[2006 master list.xls]Totals'!$S$2:$S$78,0)

Biff

oups.com...