Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jayman

Default How can I get excel to autofill the next column?

Hi there...I wonder how can I get excel to autofill the next column
if....my sheet is like below...

employee ID employee name employee dept.
00001 john doe training
00002 funny gal engineering

etc etc

can my worksheet get the data from elsewhere and i just need to type in
the employee ID number and the rest will be filled in from the linking
excel sheets or workbook? Is this possibble...thanks..

Jayman ;)

--
jayman
jayman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34871

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

See the VLOOKUP function.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"jayman"
wrote in message

Hi there...I wonder how can I get excel to autofill the next
column
if....my sheet is like below...

employee ID employee name employee dept.
00001 john doe training
00002 funny gal engineering

etc etc

can my worksheet get the data from elsewhere and i just need to
type in
the employee ID number and the rest will be filled in from the
linking
excel sheets or workbook? Is this possibble...thanks..

Jayman ;)

--
jayman
jayman's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Jayman

Try this:

Build your lookup table just the way you posted your example.

Assuming that table is located on a sheet named LISTS in A1:C100, with
column titles in Row_1 (Employee_ID, Employee_Name, etc)

Then....on another sheet....where
A1: Emp_Id
A2: (an Employee_ID)
B1: Name
B2: =VLOOKUP(A1,'LISTS'!$A:$C,2,0)
C1: Dept
C2: =VLOOKUP(A1,'LISTS'!$A:$C,3,0)

(Note: instead of typing the table location, you can just use the mouse
to switch sheets and select it. Excel will build the reference for you)

Copy the formulas in A2:C2 down as far as you need.

Does that help?
---------
Regards,
Ron