Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dale_C141

Default How do I fix a date format error in Excel?

Excel 2003. I'm entering data into a spreadsheet that has the date as the
first column. It worked fine for 50 columns, using the 01-Mar-06 date format.
Suddenly in column 51, after entering the next date (11 May 06) and pressing
tab to move to the next column, the date displayed as "#########" instead of
"11-May-06." I tried re-formatting the one cell and the entire column. The
correctly-displayed dates through column 50 still looked good, but no matter
what I tried from the formatting menu column 51 and later return the multiple
number signs instead of a date. What's up?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Widen the column?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Dale_C141" wrote in message
Excel 2003. I'm entering data into a spreadsheet that has the date as the
first column. It worked fine for 50 columns, using the 01-Mar-06 date
format.
Suddenly in column 51, after entering the next date (11 May 06) and
pressing
tab to move to the next column, the date displayed as "#########" instead
of
"11-May-06." I tried re-formatting the one cell and the entire column. The
correctly-displayed dates through column 50 still looked good, but no
matter
what I tried from the formatting menu column 51 and later return the
multiple
number signs instead of a date. What's up?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith

"#########" is Excel speak for the column not being wide enough to display the
results. You need to widen the column. The easiest way is to position the cursor
on the right hand edge of the column headings (the line between E and F for
column E, for example). The cursor will change to a double headed arrow. Now
double click. Excel will choose a column width which will display every cell in
the column.

Fred