Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
madubois9

Default Converting text to excel

When I convert a .txt document to excel, my columns are all formatted to
general, and hwne I change them to numbers, it adds a zero at the end of the
numbers in one of my columns. The number is a 13-16 digit long number and as
an example it show in the cell as: 512345E +15. How do I avoid the extra zero
at the end of my number?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Unless you are going to use the "number" in a formula, like if it's a Part
Number or something like that, then just leave it formatted as TEXT.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"madubois9" wrote:

When I convert a .txt document to excel, my columns are all formatted to
general, and hwne I change them to numbers, it adds a zero at the end of the
numbers in one of my columns. The number is a 13-16 digit long number and as
an example it show in the cell as: 512345E +15. How do I avoid the extra zero
at the end of my number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
madubois9

I need the number to show completely as I am trying to dysplay the data for
others to print and read, or sort and print.

"madubois9" wrote:

When I convert a .txt document to excel, my columns are all formatted to
general, and hwne I change them to numbers, it adds a zero at the end of the
numbers in one of my columns. The number is a 13-16 digit long number and as
an example it show in the cell as: 512345E +15. How do I avoid the extra zero
at the end of my number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

If you format the cells as TEXT, the entire value should show, just as it was
in the original....it not, you may need to increase the column width.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3