Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Renehan

Default Application opens but the file does not?

Using Excel 2003 €“ when I click on a file it only opens the excel application
but not the file. To open a file I need to open the application then use the
file-open-filename to open a spread sheet. If I logout and logon as another
user excel works correctly.

Can anyone please help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RichardSchollar

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Richard:

This worked for me yesterday, but the Ignore Other Applicatins option was
checked when i restarted my computer this morning. Any idea why that would
happen? Is there a way to stop it from doing this? This entire problem just
started on its own earlier this week.

thanks!

jeffc4442

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The "ignore other applications" setting is stored in the Registry.

If changing it does not stick between sessions, perhaps you do not have
permission to alter the Registry?

Have your account permissions been changed in the past week?

WARNING.....the following concerns opening the Registry Editor.

StartRun "regedit"(no quotes)OK

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

In right-hand side will be a key Options REG_DWORD with a value of

0x00000117(279) if "ignore other applications" is checked.

0x00000157(343) if unchecked.

Close the Registry Editor, open Excel, change the "ignore other applications"
and close Excel.

Re-open the Registry Editor.........has your change in Excel been picked up in
the Options REG_DWORD value?

While in the Registry select Options on right-side and EditPermissions.

Do you have "full control" as a user?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Gord. I do have full control.

i did what you said and selecting and deselecting 'ignore other
applications' did change the registry key as you said. however, now even
checking or unchecking 'ignore other apps' fixes the problem. I have run
Detect & Repair several times.

Using this toggle worked before and earlier today, but as i said, it didn't
stick. There are a couple of other things that haven't stuck either...one of
them was a change to how excel opens by modifying the command for .xls in the
tools/folders/file types/.xls/advance/open area. by the way...i didn't
change this command until long after these problems started.

thanks again for taking the time to help. i look forward to hearing what
you think.

jeffc4442

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try re-registering Excel..............

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

One more thing to try if none of the above brings joy.........

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord:

i fixed it. i added </e "%1" to the end of the command line and deleted
what was in the DDE box. it worked. we'll see if it lasts. this is my
office computer, so i'll find out more on monday...i'm out!

have a good weekend, Gord.

jeff

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks and hope it works out.

Gord

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, no luck. This morning when i came in I can no longer access MS Online
Help, even when adjusting the Tools/Options/Services & changing the Online
Services. by the way...this is true for all MS Office 2003 applications.

Also, i can't double click an excel file and open it in excel. as before,
excel opens, but not the file. this time, i got two error messages...the
first was the the file i was trying to open couldn't be found. The second
was that 'C:\Documents.xls' cojuld not be found. Then 'C:\and.xls' could not
be found. then 'Settings\cartj...' and so on. I got these messages until
they got to the end of my file's name. Really weird. So, re-registering
didn't work, and now making the change the Open setting under file types
doesn't work. I can make it work by eliminating the DDE field and adding </e
%1 to the end of the application path. But these changes will not stay once
i close excel.

I did just try it the way you originally suggested...the end of the
application string is now just /e, and i checked Use DDE and added
[open("%1")]. This time, i got the same "can't find file" as i mentioned
above (several until i reached the end of the file name), but this time the
file opened after all of that.

Finally, even if the "ignore other applications" box remains unchecked, it
no longer works to allow me to double click a file to open it in excel...i
get the same "can't find file" messages as above; excel opens, but not the
file.

this is wild. thanks again for your help.

jeffc4442

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord:

when i tried to re-register excel, i followed your instructions. When i did
the 'unreg' part, nothing appeared to happen. When i did the re-reg part,
the office installer started up. Should I see anything happen when i
unregister excel?

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You will see nothing when you "unregister" Excel.

When you re-register let the Office Installer do its thing.

Also, check the "Open" Command line in Folder OptionsFile Types and make sure
there are double quotes surrounding the path.

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e

Gord

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay...that's what i did and that's how the path reads (with quotes). did
you see that I made another response right before the one about
unregistering? it's dated 1/15/2007, too.

thanks.

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I saw the earlier post.

The re-registering should take care of that.

Have you let the Office Installer go through its routine?

I don't know what else to suggest.

This is a standard "fix" and can't figure out from here why you are not getting
success with it.

Gord

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yes, i let it go through its routine. sounds like an uninstall reinstall
might be next, but if i'm going to do that, i want to make sure i clean out
all of the registry keys for Office 2003. is there something that can do
that after i've run the standard Office 2003 uninstall? or do you think i
should try to hook up with someone else first?

thanks!

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe hang around here for a while before doing anything as drastic as a
complete uninstall/reinstall.

Others may have suggestions that I may have missed or misdirected.

Gord

"RichardSchollar" wrote:

In Excel go ToolsOptionsGeneral tab and make sure that "Ignore other
applications" is unchecked.

Best regards

Richard

--
RichardSchollar
RichardSchollar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34698
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545761

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how or if you can delete a post.

Why bother?

Gord