Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike

Default match names in 2 different columns

Hey guys, how can I match names in two different columns and kick out the
matches in a 3rd column?

For example

bill john john
mary mike mike
mike david
john sam

any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

In C1 enter:
=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,"=" & B1)0,B1,"")
and copy down
--
Gary''s Student

"Mike" wrote:

Hey guys, how can I match names in two different columns and kick out the
matches in a 3rd column?

For example

bill john john
mary mike mike
mike david
john sam

any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

this formula will do it but if you don't want blanks you will need a macro
=IF(COUNTIF($J$1:$K$4,J1)1,J1,"")

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Mike" wrote in message
Hey guys, how can I match names in two different columns and kick out the
matches in a 3rd column?

For example

bill john john
mary mike mike
mike david
john sam

any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Another play which dredges the results out neatly at the top ..

Assuming names listed in cols A & B, from row1 down

Put in C1:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH (SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0)))

Put in D1:
=IF(B1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,A:A,0)),ROW(),"" ))

Select C1:D1, fill down to last row of data in col B

Col C will auto-extract the names in col B which are within col A,
with all results neatly bunched at the top
--
Max
Singapore
"Mike" wrote:
Hey guys, how can I match names in two different columns and kick out the
matches in a 3rd column?

For example

bill john john
mary mike mike
mike david
john sam

any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

The preceding play extracts in col C
.. names in col B which are within col A,
with all results neatly bunched at the top

If you need to (conversely) match it the other way around
(i.e. names in col A with those within col B),
just similarly ..

Place in C1:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"",INDEX(A:A,MATCH (SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0)))

In D1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,B:B,0)),ROW(),"" ))

Select C1:D1, fill down to last row of data in col A

Col C will auto-extract the names in col A which are within col B,
with all results neatly bunched at the top ..
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Mike" wrote:
Excellent!! Thanks guys! I tried it both ways! Did exactly what I needed!
Thanks again!

Great to hear that, Mike !
Thanks for the feedback ..