Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
marchnelson

Default How do I display zeros in excel if they are the beginning characte

This is what I did according to the excel help menu:

Display or hide all zero values on a worksheet
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.
Do one of the following:
To display zero (0) values in cells, select the Zero values check box.

This did not work. The preceeding zero's are necessary for record keeping.
Appreciate any help given.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

If it's a number, use a custom format of 000000 or whatever. The
alternative is to format the cell as text first.

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"marchnelson" wrote in message
This is what I did according to the excel help menu:

Display or hide all zero values on a worksheet
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.
Do one of the following:
To display zero (0) values in cells, select the Zero values check box.

This did not work. The preceeding zero's are necessary for record
keeping.
Appreciate any help given.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SamuelT

You could conditionally format the targeted cells:

FormatConditional Formatting

Then do 'Cell Value' : 'Is Equal To' : 0

Then choose white, hence hiding your zeroes.

SamuelT

--
SamuelT
SamuelT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27501

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Leading zeros in front of a "number" indicate that the value is actually
TEXT, not a number at all. If you type 01234 in a cell formatted for a
number, or General, the leading zero will dissappear and the value will
become a true "number". To keep the leading zero in place, first format the
cell for TEXT, or type an apostrophe in front of the first zero. This will
automatically Format that cell as TEXT, and the apostrophe will not show in
the cell or on printouts, only in the formula bar.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3