Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phil Schuman

Default calculating time with tenths

We have some times from Track and Field events.
How can I use Excel to compare times as a ratio,
or calculate percentages of event times.

ie -
1:04.23 compared as a ratio to 1:05.45
or finding 10% of 1:04.23
or finding 10% of 24.43

There does not seem to be an easy way
to manipulate time as numbers in Excel,
especially with tenths & hundredths.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

"Phil Schuman" wrote in message
. com...
1:04.23 compared as a ratio to 1:05.45

Just divide one by the other and format as a percentage

=A2/A1

or finding 10% of 1:04.23
or finding 10% of 24.43

Multiply by 10% and format same as original data

=A1*10%

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phil Schuman

"Phil Schuman" wrote in message
. com...
We have some times from Track and Field events.
How can I use Excel to compare times as a ratio,
or calculate percentages of event times.

ie -
1:04.23 compared as a ratio to 1:05.45
or finding 10% of 1:04.23
or finding 10% of 24.43

There does not seem to be an easy way
to manipulate time as numbers in Excel,
especially with tenths & hundredths.

just as a followup...
I need to verify that these incoming data elements (times)
have the same ratio between them.

20.90 16.08 22.86
20.10 15.46 21.99
1:38.10 1:15.46 1:47.29
1:42.60 1:18.93 1:52.21

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

There really shouldn't be any problem multiplying a true time entry by, say,
10% and getting the right answer. If it doesn't look right make sure the
cell has the same time format as the cell with the original time. One easy
way to do this is by using Copy followed by Edit, Paste Special, Formats.

--
Jim
"Phil Schuman" wrote in message
. com...
| We have some times from Track and Field events.
| How can I use Excel to compare times as a ratio,
| or calculate percentages of event times.
|
| ie -
| 1:04.23 compared as a ratio to 1:05.45
| or finding 10% of 1:04.23
| or finding 10% of 24.43
|
| There does not seem to be an easy way
| to manipulate time as numbers in Excel,
| especially with tenths & hundredths.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

I put this value in A1: 01:04.23 (cell formatted as mm:ss.00) and this
formula in B1: =A1/10 and got this result:

00:06.423 (cell formatted as mm:ss:000), which is 10% of A1.

With this value in A2: 01:05.45 and this formula in A4: =A1/A2, I got
this result:

0.981359817 (cell formatted as General).

I think you are limited to 3dp of seconds, but the arithmetic seems to
work okay as long as you format the cells appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phil Schuman

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I put this value in A1: 01:04.23 (cell formatted as mm:ss.00) and

this
formula in B1: =A1/10 and got this result:

00:06.423 (cell formatted as mm:ss:000), which is 10% of A1.

With this value in A2: 01:05.45 and this formula in A4: =A1/A2, I

got
this result:

0.981359817 (cell formatted as General).

I think you are limited to 3dp of seconds, but the arithmetic seems to
work okay as long as you format the cells appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Pete

thanks for the replies -
I'll try experimenting -
My problem was trying to input the numbers using the TIME function
so as to account for the min vs secs crossover calculation
which of course is 59 and not 99 like in normal math

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Phil Schuman

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I put this value in A1: 01:04.23 (cell formatted as mm:ss.00) and

this
formula in B1: =A1/10 and got this result:

00:06.423 (cell formatted as mm:ss:000), which is 10% of A1.

when I tried this -
There seems to be a glitch in fighting with Excel
to leave the number alone,
and not convert it back into a time format with no decimal -
I have to go re-format the cell with mm:ss.00 to have it display
grrrrrrrr -