Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
James Hamilton

Default Division Sign

Hi,

Does anyone know how to insert a "divided by" sign into a cell - perhaps
using wingdings?

I don't want this "/" but more like "./."

I hope that makes sense - thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MyVeryOwnSelf

Does anyone know how to insert a "divided by" sign into a cell - perhaps
using wingdings?

I don't want this "/" but more like "./."

Hold down the "Alt" key while typing these 4 digits on the numeric keypad:
0184.

Then set the font to "Symbol" for the cell.

Hope this helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bagua

Hello Peo,

Is there a way to display all the different Alt + Number possibilities such as
the one you noted? I notice that Alt + 1 I get a smile and so on, I'd like to
see them all listed.

Thank you, this is very handy! :-)

"James Hamilton" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to insert a "divided by" sign into a cell - perhaps
using wingdings?

I don't want this "/" but more like "./."

I hope that makes sense - thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

In xl2002+, you can use Insert|Symbol.

So if you don't run xl2002+, you'll have to find a different way.

You can hit flying windows R (or windows start button|Run)
type charmap
hit enter

or even
windows start button|Programs|accessories|System tools|charmap
if you like to mouse.

Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower).
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
(look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Another way, copy down this formula 255 rows

=CHAR(0&ROWS($A$1:A1))

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"James Hamilton" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to insert a "divided by" sign into a cell -
perhaps
using wingdings?

I don't want this "/" but more like "./."

I hope that makes sense - thanks in advance

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Slightly shorter:

=CHAR(ROWS($A$1:A1))

<vbg

"James Hamilton" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to insert a "divided by" sign into a cell -
perhaps
using wingdings?

I don't want this "/" but more like "./."

I hope that makes sense - thanks in advance

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

Peo Sjoblom wrote:

Another way, copy down this formula 255 rows

=CHAR(0&ROWS($A$1:A1))

Slightly shorter:

=CHAR(ROWS($A$1:A1))

<vbg

Is there any difference from the shorter still
=CHAR(ROW())
?
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you insert a new row 1, you'll see a difference.

By (my opinion only) in cases like this, I don't see much difference at all.

And if you start in a cell that's not in row 1, you'll see a difference.