Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
longer

Default Importing list from Word to Excel

I have a vertical list in Word that has for instance a person's name on line
one, the address on line 2, etc. I am trying to get that list moved over to
Excel, so that the info on line one will be in column A, info on line 2 to be
on column B, etc. How can I do this?
--
Longer
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey

Practically speaking, you can accomplish this IF you have the same # of lines
for each set of contacts, i.e., if they all have 5 lines (even if some lines
are blank). Even if this is o, it'll still be very messy, unless the City is
ALWAYS on the same numbered line, and the State is ALWAYS on the same
numbered line, etc.

If there is some absolutely consistent way of telling when one address ends
and the next starts you can sorta/kinda do it, but it will definitely be a
mess because you'll have different types of values in the same column. For
instance, in column C one row will show Suite 200 & the next row will show
Denver

So...how is your data laid out?

"longer" wrote:

I have a vertical list in Word that has for instance a person's name on line
one, the address on line 2, etc. I am trying to get that list moved over to
Excel, so that the info on line one will be in column A, info on line 2 to be
on column B, etc. How can I do this?
--
Longer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrice

If you copy the word contents into Excel and then in the adjacent column
fill the cells with the sequence 1,2,3,4.... In the next columm fill
with the sequence 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2...

Then sort the entire data set by the final column as the main sort and
the penultimate column as the second criteria.

You can then move the bottom half of the list to be adjacent to the top
half to give you the effect that you wanted.

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545217

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
longer

The data is laid out on a Word doc as follows:
Jane Smith
123 Apple Street
Anytime, FL 55555

Bob Smith
125 Candy Lane
Anywhere, AL 33333

Etc. I want to get this over to Excel so that the name will be in column A,
the address in B. How would I do this? I tried mail merge, saving the doc
in xml format and then opening the xml doc from Excel....
--
Longer

"longer" wrote:

I have a vertical list in Word that has for instance a person's name on line
one, the address on line 2, etc. I am trying to get that list moved over to
Excel, so that the info on line one will be in column A, info on line 2 to be
on column B, etc. How can I do this?
--
Longer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey

Copy the Word data and paste it into Excel - it should all end up in a single
column. Let's assume you paste it into column A, starting in row 1. Paste
this formula into B1, then copy it across to D1. Then you can copy those
three cells down as far as needed

=OFFSET($A1,COLUMN(A1)-1+(ROW(A1)-1)*3,0)