Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
strippier

Default Searching for text

Hiya,

I have a list of names (approx 110,000) which I need to search for specifc
names (approx 1000).

eg A = list of 110k names / C = search criteria 1000 names / B = found Y or N
Column A Column B Column C
Mr Smith Y Smith
RC Jones N Trip
S Abdul Y Abdu
R Basil N
etc

It needs to use the C list of names and show where these exist in the column
A list, putting the results in column B.

I deally I would like a % match, i.e. smith contanied 100% within Mr Smith,
but only 60% within Mr Smithson etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks for you time.

Simon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrice

I would suggest that you save your list of 110K names in a .txt file.

Then put your 1000 names in Excel.

Read in the text file line by line using something like

open "C:\Myfile.txt" for input as #1
Do while not EOF(1)
Line input #1, FileLine
For Each Cell in Range(Cells(1,1),Cells(1000,1))
If Cell = FileLine then Cell.offset(0,1) = Cell.offset(0,1)+1
Next Cell
Loop
Close #1

It will probably take quite a while to run.

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544700